Resources for Consumers

Navigating disability benefits and employment can be difficult.  Here are some helpful links to help you in that process as well as resources for you to get more assistance from a benefits specialist.

Ticket to Work

Social Security encourages people who receive disability benefits to work through the Ticket to Work program.  You may choose to services through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) or an Employment Network.  DVR helps people with barriers to employment, such as a disability, to find initial part-time or full-time employment.  Employment Networks will typically help people become independent from their disability benefits and usually are for people who are already employed.  There services help people become independent from their Social Security benefits.

Other Employment Resources

Ticket to Work is not the only resource available for people who are looking for work and need accommodations.  Hare are a few other websites that may help you in your job search.

Work Incentives Resources

There are many resources available for people who wish to work and have Social Security disability benefits.

You may be enrolled in a special Social Security Project which has special rules.  Both the BOND and PROMISE projects are ending, but those people who may still be enrolled can find additional information below.

Other Benefit Specialist Assistance

The Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) program is a free program that was designed by Social Security to provide information to people with disability benefits who are looking to work and need to know how working will affect their benefits.  This service should be used by beneficiaries who do not have funding through DVR or a Long Term Care provider.  


Wisconsin offers a Deaf Disability Benefits Specialist to people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind.  This benefits specialist can assist with all state benefits programs as well as Social Security benefits and is ASL certified.

Wisconsin's Aging & Disability Resource Centers (ADRC's) have Disability Benefit Specialists (DBS) that can help answer questions and solve problems related to Social Security, Medicare, health insurance, and other public and private benefits for people with disabilities. DBS's may be able to provide assistance with applications. They serve people ages 18-59 who have a disability. Services are free and confidential.



ADRC's also have Elder Benefit Specialists (EBS) that can provide similar services to a DBS, but work for individuals who are age 60 or older.


Additional Assitance with Benefits

You've started working; congratulations!  Many people assume that Social Security will know this automatically when they really don't until the IRS receives your W-2 from your employer(s).  And sometimes Social Security doesn't review your case on time!  This could cause an overpayment to occur unless you report your wages to Social Security as needed.  You should always report when you start a job, your wage changes, you increase or decrease hours, or your job ends.  SSI beneficiaries are required to report wages every month.  SSDI beneficiaries may be required to only report wages periodically, depending on your monthly work earnings.

For SSDI recipients:

For SSI recipients:

  • Go to your local Social Security Office

  • Mail your pay stubs to your local office

  • Call 800-772-1213 and talk to a Social Security representative

  • Download the "SSI Mobile Wage Reporting" app for Android or iPhone smartphones (after first month; one job only; report GROSS earnings)

  • Call the SSI automated phone number at 866-772-0953 (after first month; one job only; report GROSS earnings)

Wage Reporting and Overpayments

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) application​


State of Wisconsin Benefits

Free legal assistance including disability appeals

Free financial and debt management services:

Applying for Benefits
Asset Limit Links

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and most Medicaid programs have a $2,000 asset limit for a single individual OR $3,000 asset limit for a married couple.  Special Needs Trusts and ABLE Accounts allow a person to save more than this amount.  The Medicaid Purchase Plan could help some people who only need Medicaid benefits and are working.